Final Fantasy XI, XIV Temporarily Shutting Down Due to Calamities in Japan
Square Enix’s various online game websites recently announced that the company would be temporarily suspending services for Final Fantasy XI and XIV beginning today, March 13, 2011, as a result of the earthquake and tsunami that affected the country recently. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has asked its customers to not use power unnecessarily in order to conserve electricity as TEPCO has noted they “expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while.”
Square Enix has complied with the request and will be shutting down their game servers to conserve electricity, providing updates as more information becomes available. The company also added that “players will not be billed for any PlayOnline service throughout the April billing cycle,” though that will also be updated as additional information becomes available.
It’s quite unfortunate that this had to happen to Japan and to Square Enix. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan as they go through this trying time.
Following the break is a list of all the affected services of Square Enix’s online division as taken from the FFXIV Lodestone.
[Date & Time]
A week starting from Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT)
– FINAL FANTASY XIV
– FINAL FANTASY XI
* The following services, normally accessible from the official PlayOnline homepage (http://www.playonline.com/), will be unavailable during this time.
– Friend List Plus
– FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
– PlayOnline Friend List Application
– Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu
* Additionally, the following types of support will also be temporarily unavailable:
– PlayOnline Password Recovery
– PlayOnline Account Cancellation
– All activities requiring the confirmation of personal information
* Please be advised that we will continue to operate the official websites, FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone, forums, and the SQUARE ENIX Support Center to be able provide our customers with updates on the current situation.